Remember to choose FREE delivery on orders over £50 *UK mainland only*
World Wide Shipping Available

Back & Body Protectors

Racesafe body protectors offer the latest technology with a superb range of styles to suit all disciplines of riding, so no matter what you do from hacking out to racing or eventing, they have a model to match your requirements.

Whitaker has launched a new PRO body protector available in small, medium and large. Certified to EN 13158-2009 European level 3 (BETA Level 3 Standard) it has anatomically shaped panels made from a lightweight foam with ventilation.

Safety is of paramount importance, especially in young inexperienced riders or competitive riders, so equip yourself properly for any eventuality.

Showing all 8 results

  • What is the difference between a body protector and a back protector? 

    • As the name suggests, back protectors protect only the back. They can have a rigid, jointed shell or a foam pad inserted into a soft gilet. Back protectors are designed to be more comfortable than body protectors, offering the rider greater freedom of movement. While they are more discreet and less bothersome, they offer a lower level of protection than a body protector.

  • How often should I replace my body protector? 

    • Body protectors should be replaced at least every three to five years, after which the impact absorption properties of the foam may have started to decline. Garments bearing the now obsolete Level 5 or 7, Class 1, 2 or 3 labels and BETA 2000 Level 1, 2 or 3 will no longer be effective and should be replaced. You should be wearing a garment bearing the current BETA 2009 or 2018 Standard.

  • What body protector do I need for eventing?  

    • For the cross-country phase, British Eventing and British Riding Clubs require you to wear a Level 3 body protector, certified to BETA 2018 standards. If an Air Jacket is used for the cross-country phase, it must be worn over (not instead of) a permitted body protector.

  • What body protector do I need for racing?  

    • For race riding in Britain, Ireland and most of Europe, Jockeys are required to wear a body protector certified to a minimum of Level 2 (EN13158:2009/2018). For exercising and working in racing, most yards require a level 3 (EN13158:2009/2018) body protector to be worn. A BETA 2009 (Level 3) or BETA 2018 (Level 3) body protector must be worn for Pony Racing.

  • What body protector do I need for showjumping?  

    • For many countries in Europe, Junior riders are required to wear BETA 2009/2018 (Level 3) body protectors for showjumping. For other riders they are optional protection.

  • What body protector do I need for Pony Club?  

    • The Pony Club makes the use of body protectors compulsory for all cross-country riding and Pony Racing whether it be training or competing. If a Body protector is worn for any Pony Club activity it must meet BETA 2018 (Level 3) standard.

  • What body protector do I need for hacking or driving?  

    • For hacking and general safety on horseback, we recommend a Level 3 body protector, certified to either the BETA 2009 or BETA 2018 standards (level 3) For driving, Body Protectors are generally compulsory for Marathons and must be suitably certified.